Meditation is an effective way to get your body and mind to relax, which creates a healthier you. It’s also an effective tool for business success for everyone from owners to hourly employees. And there’s research to back that up.
A recent article on The Chopra Center website cites research from the Harvard Business School and a leading European business school which shows that “the two most effective business tools for twenty-first century executives are meditation and intuition. The benefits of meditation in the workplace are cumulative; they build on one another, starting with the individual and from there, positively impacting the performance of the business as a whole.”
A Productive Habit
Writing in the Huffington Post Small Business section, Anita Heidema shares that many successful entrepreneurs meditate daily, including Richard Branson of Virgin Atlantic and Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter.
Heidema shared her tips for adding meditation to your daily routine. These include blocking out five minutes at the same time every day on your calendar, using meditations that can assist you with the specific things you want to achieve, and keeping your meditations simple, at least at the start. Mindful breathing is a good first exercise.
Specific Workplace Benefits
According to the Chopra Center, there are five specific benefits that meditation brings to the business world.
- Increased Focus – The inner calm and peace from meditation make it easier for your brain to focus on specific goals and tasks.
- Better Communication – This same clarity and focus enables clear and effective communication. “A clear mind will express clear thoughts,” says the article.
- Improved Productivity – “By helping employees at all levels deal with their stress effectively, focus more clearly on their own goals and the goals of the company, and communicate clearly with the other members of their team, the productivity of the employee will improve.” This individual improvement then filters in to increase the entire company’s productivity.
- Stronger Loyalty – This doesn’t come directly from mediation but as a result of a company offering meditation as part of its wellness benefits, which makes employees feel cared for and appreciated. Why would you leave a company that treats you so well?
- Fewer Absences – Because meditation helps reduce stress, it lowers a person’s risk for issues such as heart disease, depression, or other conditions that would keep them out of work.
Whether it’s offered as a wellness benefit or allowed to be part of the daily office routine, workplace meditation is a proven way to keep both large and small companies running effectively.
Looking for a fresh dose of motivation to inspire and challenge you every week? Sign up here to access my Weekly Bold Move. Best of all, it’s completely free!
Image courtesy of jesadaphorn at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Colleen Slaughter, Your Big, BOLDER Life Mentor, is a speaker, coach, author and founder of Authentic Leadership International. She is passionate about providing ambitious women leaders with the courage, confidence and clarity they need to stop selling themselves short, to claim what they really want in business and in life and to go for it!
Clients say Colleen has helped them find their voice, listen to it, and act on it, and that, by doing so, they have gained a sense of freedom, joy and fulfillment beyond measure.
Colleen’s perspectives have been featured in ABC, NBC, CBS, Enterprising Women and the Woman’s Advantage® Shared Wisdom Calendar for 2012, 2015 and 2016.
If she could be granted a superpower, it would be to vanish people’s feelings of self-doubt and unworthiness and to replace them with the deep understanding of how much they, and what they envision for themselves are important.